Change of Address Notification WorksheetBuying a house involves a number of stages, and the work does not stop once you have completed the purchase. At this point, your main concern will be getting into your new home and settling down. However one important item to take care of before moving day, is letting friends, family, companies and government agencies know your new address.
Letting family and friends know your new address can be as simple as getting change of address cards made up and either handing them out or sending them via mail or e-mail. Using this checklist can ensure the right people are informed in the right manner and at the right time.
1. Ministry of Health New homeowners should inform both the provincial or territorial health ministry you are moving by providing them your new contact information. There are forms you can easily download from the web to do this.
2. Canada Revenue Agency New homeowners will need the following materials:
• Social insurance number • Partner’s social insurance number (where it applies) • New address in full • Date of the move Once these materials have been gathered, you will need to choose your preferred method for informing the agency: • Online: Use the Canada Revenue Agency’s online service
• Mail: 1. Fill in Form RC325 and mail or fax to their local tax centre 2. Write a letter including all the details. A separate letter should be written for the partner. Mail or fax the signed letter to the local tax office • Phone: Call Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281 and pass on all relevant details
3. Canada Post The new homeowners can:
• Go to the local post office and change the address at the counter • Visit Canada Post’s website and follow the online instructions to changing your address
4. Ministry of Transportation This is only necessary if you have vehicles registered under your name. You can advise them of your new address by visiting the Service Canada website and clicking the correct province or territory ministry link.
5. Employment Insurance program If applicable, it is important to change your address and avoid missing out on important benefits. It can be done through the Service Canada website once an account is set up and an Access code to get onto the site has been provided.
6. Canada pension plan or old age security information If relevant, it is important these institutions are notified in a timely manner, to ensure benefits are not lost. Service Canada allows for Account holders to change their address information. However, Service Canada cannot be used by people who:
8. Lastly, consider other organizations that need to be informed in a professional, rather than social way. These include: • Place of work • Children’s schools or day care • Bank and investment holders • Library • Cable/Internet/Phone Company • Any other service providers where information may be sent to your address It can be difficult to remember everyone that needs to be informed of the move, but it is important to do your due diligence in notifying all parties involved.